WALK TO WATERHEAD
A WONDERFUL, 90 MINUTE CIRCULAR WALK
This walk is very popular with our guests and is also the route we take on our yearly Boxing Day and New Year’s day outing. This circular route starts by following the roadside (quiet country lane) before joining a well developed country path which passes a wonderful view point overlooking Windermere.
1.As you reach the end of our hotel driveway, turn left (heading up-hill) following the quiet country lane up-hill.
2. After approx 15 minutes walking you will come to a signpost on your left reading “Skelghyll lane, private flats” – follow this road.
3. At the end of the lane you will see a farmhouse with a gate – head through the gate following the fingerposts. You will see the back of the hotel as you follow the lane – continue following the path which will continue to lead you away from the hotel and will level out as you approach a woodland area.
4. After passing a signposted viewing point “Jenkins Crag” you will come to a point where the path forks. Head left, following the path that leads downhill (signposted as waterhead)
5. When you reach the end of the path (main road), turn left, following the road towards Windermere. It is also at this point you will notice that you are nearby to a number of cafes, Windermere lake cruises and public restrooms. This is the ideal spot for a break should you wish to spend a little time in the area before returning to the hotel.
6. You will eventually come to a resort called “Low Wood Bay”, there is a footpath to the left of this hotel – follow this path and keep left (keeping the fences to your left). If you continue to follow the path, keeping left, the path will lead you to a gate leading you back into the hotel grounds and gardens.