Our History.

Built in the 19th Century, Holbeck Ghyll was bought in 1888 by Lord Lonsdale, one of the richest men in the country, to use as his hunting lodge.

The “Yellow Earl”, as he was known, was the first president of the Automobile Association and bequeathed the famous Lonsdale Belt to boxing.

Between the 1920’s and 1973, Holbeck Ghyll was a private house (see a selection of photographs kindly provided by Mr. Beattie). In 1973 it was converted to a hotel and remained in the same ownership until 1988 when it was acquired by new private owners.

Over the past 20 years there has been an on-going refurbishment program and systematic development has seen the opening of a Health Spa and creation of a tennis court, the building of The Lodge (6 lake view bedrooms in a house in the grounds) and the launch of The Shieling, the Miss Potter Suite, Ghyllside Cottage and most recently, Tarn House.

Whilst adding facilities and increasing the number of bedrooms (from 12 to 31), genuine hospitality, quality of service and high standards have always been of paramount importance.